July 8, 2019 — By Mary Beth Brangan
On July 9, the Marin County Board of Supervisors plans to consider an urgency ordinance and new policy regarding the installation of fifth-generation cellular wireless technology, commonly called 5G, in locations throughout unincorporated Marin within the public roads.
The Board has set a 1:30 p.m. session in the Marin County Civic Center Board chamber, Suite 330, in San Rafael. Residents will be able to attend, watch the webcast live or archived, or tune in on Channel 27 for Comcast and AT&T U-Verse subscribers. Read more
The draft has some strengths, but needs much work. Here are comments made by EON suggesting changes and additions.
From: Mary Beth Brangan, Ecological Options Network, EON
Re: Draft Ordinance for “Small Cell” Installation Many thanks to the sub-committee for this draft ordinance. I appreciate your work to protect your authority as elected officials and your citizens from the FCC overreach.
Section 704 of the 1996 Telecommunications Act, that prohibits environmental (and claimed health effects, too) from being used to prevent the placement of any RF antenna is unjust and should be repealed.
You are aware of the amassed peer-reviewed science showing adverse health and environmental impacts from RF/EMF.
I say this because, in a just system, to accommodate willingly the demand by the wireless industry to densify the RF/MMW antennae and therefore the RF/EMF exposure (classified as a 2B carcinogen) would be considered willful endangerment of the public. This assault on our right to health is an outrage.
Here are a few recommendations for your consideration:
Another Terrible Proposal from the FCC:
Using the OTARD rule for 5G Wireless Radiation
EON’s Comments to the FCC Proposed Rule 19-71 regarding the proposal to use the OTARD (over-the-air reception devices) license (intended for ham radio, satellite dishes, etc.) to put 5G infrastructure on private property to avoid any legal oversight.
EON strongly opposes the proposed amendments to the OTARD rule. It should not be changed to allow wireless companies to put their 5G antennas on private homes in an attempt to avoid legal oversight.
Threats to security, safety and privacy already abound from exponentially increasing use of wireless technologies. What legal remedy would be available to a neighbor adversely affected by a 5G antenna on a nearby property? What legal protections would a property owner have against property devaluation? What responsibility does the FCC have to inform a prospective property owner considering placing a 5G antenna on their property about potential liability for harming neighbors? What responsibility does a property owner have to inform neighbors about the presence of a 5G antenna on their property?
San Francisco Chronicle, 7-2- 2019
Congratulations and immense thanks to all who worked tirelessly for this national precedent-setting ruling, including Prof. Lawrence Lessig, Ellie Marks, Joel Moscowitz, Lloyd Morgan, the Berkeley City Council and many others!
From Environmental Health Trust: “A landmark Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals upheld the City of Berkeley’s cell phone right to know ordinance rejecting industries argument that the ordinance violates the first amendment. This ordinance requires retailers to inform consumers that cell phones emit radiation and that “if you carry or use your phone in a pants or shirt pocket or tucked into a bra when the phone is ON and connected to a wireless network, you may exceed the federal guidelines for exposure to RF radiation.” Read more
Exposing the FCC’s illegal scheme to replace wired networks
with wireless and make us pay for it!
The Irregulators Legal Case against the FCC offers us an unparalleled chance of stopping 5G in its tracks.
They need your support!
- Verizon, AT&T and other companies have been using the construction budgets of the copper wireline- based state telecommunications utilities to build out their wireless networks.
- Local phone customers have been charged inflated rates that have paid to help telecom companies build their networks – so that rate payers have been unknowingly subsidizing wireless services at the detriment of wired networks.
- If these “cross subsidies” were removed – or repaid – then 5G would not be profitable.
- This shell game has given wireless companies enormous profits and has shown artificial losses for wired services. This has allowed telecoms to classify wired networks as unprofitable, to justify eliminating the superior copper-wired service and to force us into entirely wireless service.
- The telecoms have already charged rate payers (at thousands of dollars/line over two decades), to develop a fiber optic service, but didn’t deliver it to us as promised. Now they are attempting to charge us again for it but only giving us wireless service.
- Almost all these inaccurate and misleading financial practices were enabled by the FCC accounting rules.
- Exposing these “cross subsidies” and requiring the FCC to demand that telecom carriers fix them to accurately reflect the actual costs associated with each respective technology, could be a game changer.
- To add insult to injury, the companies have dumped billions per state of their ‘corporate operations expenses’ that should never have been charged. This is the executive pay, lobbyists, lawyers, golf tournaments and the corporate jets — and worse, these are the lawyers, lobbyists that are working to force 5G on us– we’re paying them extra to harm us!
The Irregulators: An independent consortium of highly regarded senior telecom experts, analysts, forensic auditors, and lawyers was formed to make the public aware of these manipulative accounting practices and take the FCC to task for allowing them at our expense. The group’s goal is to stop the practice of these subsidies and make wireless companies pay for the true cost of wireless, including the WIRED fiber optic networks which they rely on and have already been charging customers for, for two decades. On June 3rd, 2019, the IRREGULATORS had a major victory when the FCC had the opportunity to but did not challenge their right to take this case and present it in the DC court, starting July 22nd, 2019. With this huge “win” behind them, now the group urgently needs financial support to take the case to trial and hold the FCC accountable for oversight of the telecom industry in an unbiased manner and secure our rights as rate payers.
FREE SUMMER READING: Click here for a free PDF of “The Book of Broken Promises: $400 Billion Broadband Scandal & Free the Net”, the 3rd in a trilogy that started in 1998. The second book (and author) was featured on Emmy nominated Bill Moyer’s PBS special, “The Net at Risk”, in 2006 the first national broadcast program on Net Neutrality. The author and book were also featured in Pulitzer Prize winner, David Cay Johnston’s “The Fine Print”, in 2012.
Could A New Cell Tower Hurt You Financially? CBS13 Investigates
Published on Jun 26, 2019